earn-moneyearn-moneyForexcancer

2008年6月18日水曜日

Is there discrimination in Japan for having a Tattoo? -

I m am a high school student and I am deciding to get a tattoo soon. However, I will attend college in Japan and I wonder if there is any discrimination against tattoos. I have heard that people who have tattoos are confused as people from the Mafia - Yakuza. I am thinking on having one on my right arm. Will that be a problem?

It is true that you will not be able to get into many onsen (hot springs) and public baths as well as pools, but not all of them. Like many people here said there is a stigma about tattoos and they are commonplace among the yakuza, but many young Japanese are getting tattoos these days so the view on that is changing. If you are going to be in a big city, then you shouldn t have too many problems. If you are not in a big city you might have more problems. Seeing as you don t have a tattoo now, I would say wait to get one. Come to Japan and see if you like it here. Think about this decision seriously as it s not cheap to get a tattoo removed. One person posting here said something about covering up his tattoos when he comes here on business. You are still in high school and can not be sure what you will be doing in the future. It sounds like Japan might be a possibility in your future. Having a tattoo and doing business in Japan isn t the smartest idea. There is no reason that you need to get a tattoo right now. Yeah, I know you think it ll make you look cool and you can brag to your friends, but you should think about your future and wait to get it. You don t want to make a decision that you ll regret. Sometimes making decisions as an adult are not always what you want at the present time, but often they serve you well later in life.

Yeah, I would not do it so that it can be seen. Japanese people are very reserved so they won t stop you in the street and tell you to go away, but a tattoo is the equivalent of saying you are a Yakuza so they will definitely avoid you. You will also not be admitted into pools, hot baths or any other place where your upper body is exposed. The school will definitely have a problem with it if you are seen with one. It is quite unfortunate, but b/c the Yakuza are feared so much (and many Yakuza have tattoos) it has just become a public norm to avoid getting tattoos if you are a normal civilian. If you absolutely need to get one, get one so that a T-shirt covers it completely and make it small enough so it doesn t stand out too much. If that is not what you want, get prepared to become a social outcast or wait until you are out of the country.

The short answer is absolutely. The link between Tattoos and the Yakuza is an embedded part of the social ethos. During my last business trip to Japan, I was always very careful to cover up all of my tattoos during my business engagements. However, one night I allowed my tattoos to be seen when we went to a bar. Older people were obviously distressed, but I had at least 3 cute young ladies come up and rub my arm to see if it was real and ask me about it. So as long as you can cover it up during professional engagements, it s actually a great way to meet the ladies. But it is critical that you be able to cover it up with your normal wardrobe. Oh and make sure it s a real piece of art. quot;Prisonquot; or quot;Gangstaquot; types will definitely cause you grief.

As I understand it, there are certain places (hot baths, pools and such) that won t allow you to go in if you have a tattoo (some people I ve talked to say there s exceptions if you can cover it, other people have told me that some places are very strict about it).

We live here near Hiroshima and many places will not let you in if the tattoo is showing because they will link you to the Yakuza. I know the water parks here will kick your out if they see it, They have signs that says no visible tattoos what so ever .

yes, there is a discrimination in Japan of Tattoo s, BUT the only places you would not be able to go is certain bath houses and some restaurants, just cover them up.

It ll probably depend on where on the arm you get your tattoo. If it s in a place where it can be easily covered, I doubt it ll be a problem.

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿